FORT WORTH – TCU forced 19 West Virginia turnovers in a 81-65 win over the Mountaineers Monday at Schollmaier Arena.
The Horned Frogs (17-7, 6-5) turned up the defense in the second half, holding the Mountaineers (8-16, 3-8) to 30 percent shooting after allowing 50 percent in the first half.
TCU never trailed after the opening five minutes of play. The lead was pushed to double-figures on one of four 3-pointers by Trevian Tennyson with 1:43 to go in the first. The Frogs eased into a 47-35 halftime lead thanks to 55.2 percent shooting from the field.
On a ferocious Chuck O’Bannon Jr. dunk, the Horned Frogs reached their largest lead of the game, 77-55, with 5:02 to play.
Tennyson tied Emanuel Miller and Jameer Nelson Jr. for the team lead with 14 points. Nelson added three steals and a career-high four blocked shots.
Micah Peavy finished with nine points, a team-high seven rebounds and five assists.
Raequan Battle led WVU with 21 points and five rebounds.
TCU will play at Kansas State on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPNU.
- TCU improved to 6-18 all-time against West Virginia and 6-6 at home. The Frogs have won six of the last seven meetings in Fort Worth.
- TCU improved to 11-2 at home this season and 3-2 at home in Big 12 games.
- Jamie Dixon improved to 18-16 against West Virginia.
- TCU improved to 101-36 overall in Schollmaier Arena under Dixon and 38-31 in Big 12 home games.
- Dixon improved to 156-104 as the head coach at TCU. He moved into a tie for second place on TCU’s all-time wins list with Billy Tubbs.
- The Frogs forced the Mountaineers into a season-high 19 turnovers. TCU has forced its opponents into 13 or more turnovers in all but four games this season.
- TCU dished out 20 assists, its most in six games.
- The Frogs revived their Frogs script jersey for the first time this season.
- Emanuel Miller scored 14 points, shooting 5-for-10 from the field. It was his 12th-straight game in double figures and his 22nd of the season.
- Miller moved up three spots on TCU’s all-time scoring list. He is tied for 23rd place with Garlon Green with 1,138 points at TCU.
- Jameer Nelson Jr. had 14 points, his 15th of the season in double-figures.
- Nelson had a career-high four blocked shots.
- Trevian Tennyson scored 14 points. He was 4-of-10 from the field, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range. It was his sixth game this season with four or more 3-pointers. He has made a three in nine-straight games.
- Micah Peavy led TCU in rebounds with seven.
- JaKobe Coles scored in double figures for the fourth-straight game with 11 points.
- Both Peavy and Avery Anderson led in assists with five each.
- Ernest Udeh Jr. won the opening tip for the 20th time in 24 games this season.